Cops arrest robbery, boming syndicate
Five men believed to be part of a syndicate behind ATM bombings, robberies and cash-in-transit heists will appear in court soon.
|||Cape Town - Five men believed to be part of a syndicate behind ATM bombings, business robberies and cash-in-transit heists in the Western Cape and Gauteng are to appear in court soon.
They had been monitored after police received information about a suspicious BMW in Somerset West, police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk said.
Police spotted the car at the post office but with no occupants inside it, said Van Wyk. A few minutes later the five returned to the vehicle and were arrested, he said.
The men, aged between 21 and 41, have been linked to several ATM bombings in various areas across the province and in Gauteng, he said.
They are to appear in the Somerset West Magistrate’s Court soon.
Four were linked to business robberies of cellphone shops in Cape Town, Malmesbury, Brackenfell and Somerset West, and an ATM bombing in Bellville, while the fifth had a warrant of arrest against him for seven cases in Stellenbosch and Gauteng, he said.
Somerset West police station commander Mary-Ann Williams commended the officers for the arrests.
Managers of some malls and businesses robbed last year refused to comment.
During the run-up to the 2014 festive season, there had been several ATM bombings, business robberies and cash-in-transit heists in various areas, including Goodwood, Bellville, Khayelitsha, Nyanga and Claremont. On August 24 last year, Kenilworth and Somerset West malls became targets of cash-in-transit heists.
In Somerset West, the gang had targeted cash-in-transit deliveries, but their plan was dashed as police had monitored a silver Renault, used by the men as they believed the vehicle had been stolen.
At the Kenilworth shopping centre, two security guards arrived to pick up cash from a store.
As one of the guards approached the centre’s entrance, he was accosted by two armed unidentified men, who assaulted and disarmed him.
At the time, Van Wyk said the suspects held up the security guard at gunpoint and took the money box he was holding.
He said the suspects then fled the scene. No arrests were made at either of these incidents.
sandiso.phaliso@inl.co.za
Cape Times
